: July 7, 1943 in Kannapolis, North CarolinaMarried
: Mrs. Georgia M. ThompsonChildren
: Two Children, Four Grandchildren
Graduated from George Washington Carver High School, Kannapolis, NC; earned an A.B. degree in 1965 from Livingstone College; earned M. Div. degree from Hood Theological Seminary in 1968.
Bishop Thompson was elected bishop by the 44th General Conference 86th Bishop of the A.M.E. Zion Church.
His pastorates include Poplar Springs, Lincolnton, NC (Circuit); Smyre’s Chapel, Catawba, NC (Circuit); Walls Chapel, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; and Trinity, Washington, D.C. He led the congregation at Trinity in the purchase and payment of a new edifice located at 1305 16th Street, NW, Washington, DC.
Bishop Thompson led the Alabama-Florida Episcopal district in acquiring the Episcopal Headquarters located at 808 Lawrence, Street, Montgomery, Alabama, on March 17, 1993. In June 1993, he led this district in purchase of an Episcopal residence located at 2159 Vaughn Lane, Montgomery, Alabama, which was dedicated on January 24, 1998. He also has led the Eastern North Carolina Episcopal District in acquiring the Episcopal Headquarters at 3050 Berks Way, Raleigh, North Carolina 27614 which was dedicated on September 30, 2006.
Bishop Thompson is author of “The Pastor’s Voice” (1992).